Q: Temperature goes into the red zone during slow driving or idling

Hello. The temperature gauge in my car is not working correctly. It goes into the red zone. It happened when I had the water pump and timing belt replaced. After installing new parts, on my way home, the gauge stopped working normally. I took it to the dealership again and they said the issue is with the air pockets in the system so I got the system bled. It didn't help however. During idling or slow driving, the temperature gauge goes into the red zone. But, it works better while the AC is running. Do you have any suggestions how to fix this? Thanks.

A: Hi there. If this occurred right after the ...

Hi there. If this occurred right after the work was performed then it is possible that there is air still stuck in the cooling system, but from what you are explaining with the AC, it sounds more like a cooling fan problem. If the radiator cooling fan is not coming on then that will cause this. It may be a bad fuse or relay. I typically start by making sure that the ranks coming on when the engine warms up. If not I would diagnose it from there.

If you need to have your temperature gauge issue diagnosed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to take a look at it.