Q: Temperature gauge in the red zone

My truck has been running fine but I've noticed the temperature gauge is approaching the red zone. I haven't had any problems with it overheating though. Why is it showing high operating temperature? How can I check if the truck is overheated?

The normal operating range for most engines is between 195 degrees and 220 degrees Fahrenheit. If your engine is getting hotter than this, it’s running too hot. Do not continue to drive it until it is properly repaired. Overheating can cause severe engine damage. I suggest you have your vehicle’s overheating issue diagnosed and repaired by a trained professional, such as one from YourMechanic.