Q: 2000 vw Golf 2.0 stall on acceleration

asked by on February 10, 2018

I have a 2000 vw Golf 2.0, I just replaced the clutch and installed new flywheel and t.o. Bearing. When I took the air filter apart I placed a leather glove in the intake air to plevent debris from getting in. When I put it all back together I forgot about the glove. It was sucked into the throttle body when I started the car. I was able to remove the glove fully intacked. Now, my problem. The car shifts between gears perfectly. When in neutral or stepping onm the clutch pedal, the engine idles just fine. If I drive in reverse, it drives perfect. If am idling in neutral and give it gas it stumbles, and will idle just fine if I take my foot off the gas. But if I continue to push on the gas it will stall. If I start driving in 1st gear it does the same thing. If I baby my acceration I am able to reach more speed and get in to 2nd even 3rd. Every time it feels like it wants to stall if I push to hard on the gas.

There is a possibility that you introduced a vacuum leak when you did this work particularly if these symptoms did not exist prior to the work around the throttle body. Another possibility is the glove may have damaged components or caused misalignment or mis-positioning of the throttle plate. Check to be sure all of the connectors to the idle air control valve, and any other components near where you worked are secure. If you desire a quick resolution by a certified mechanic, please request a vehicle idle inspection/diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this diagnosed and resolved, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.