Q: SUV hesitates when air on

asked by on February 13, 2016

The SUV hesitates when the air conditioner is engaged, and the engine goes into reduced power mode.

Hi. The AC compressor runs off the serpentine belt which is driven by the engine. Therefore, turning on the AC puts a load on the engine. If there is a problem with the compressor, this may max the engine more than normal, causing drivability problems. On the other hand, it may be engine performance that is the root issue. If the engine isn’t running the way it should, the extra load from the compressor may cause it to go into reduced power mode. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the power loss on your vehicle and suggest an appropriate repair.