Q: Surges of power on downhill

asked by on October 30, 2015

Sometimes when I drive downhill, my 2009 Toyota Corolla surges forward slightly, making braking more difficult. It seems like this could be a serious problem in the wrong circumstances. What causes this to happen? Is there a technique to braking on downhills that could prevent it? Car has under 100,000 miles on it.

The issue you are having sound like either the throttle is not returning to a closed position or your transmission went into overdrive lock up when you let off of the accelerator pedal. Contact YourMechanic to go through a thorough diagnostic check of your vehicle to determine the causes. This vehicle may be covered by one or more campaigns or recalls for engine acceleration issues. YourMechanic can check for any recalls for you when they comes to check your car for you. YourMechanic will call a Toyota dealer or Toyota directly for you to see if there are any recalls on your vehicle. Have any recalls or Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) done along with any additional diagnostics or repairs recommended by YourMechanic. If after all available recalls are completed, the problem still exist, then YourMechanic can diagnose and repair it for you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr