sudden loss of coolant

2 days ago I filled up on gas then started to drive. Car seemed to accelerate through gear change then drove normally. 1st stop was 1 mile, then drove another 1/2 mile to the post office. I smelled antifreeze and saw white smoke through the front of the hood. When I opened the hood, I had lost all coolant in the resevoir. It was dark and I could not pin point where the leak was. the resevoir was cool to the touch so I added antifreeze and drove home - about 1.25 miles. I have not driven the car in 2 days but the coolant resevoir has maintained the added coolant from 2 days ago. Is it safe to drive?

Hi Felicity. Thanks for sending in your question today. Assuming that your Chrysler 300 did not overheat previously and coolant is leaking internally, it’s quite possible that your radiator cap has failed. This will cause coolant to escape in the method in which you are describing. However, it’s also possible that you had too much water mixed with coolant, and that the water has evaporated from the mixture when the engine temperature rose. It’s supposed to be a 50/50 mixture of coolant to distilled water. It’s hard for us to tell you - yes or no - whether your car is safe to drive, without knowing the actual cause of this problem. I think the best option here is to have a professional mobile mechanic complete a coolant leaking inspection, so they can determine if there is damage to the coolant system or if the radiator cap simply needs to be replaced.