Q: Steering tightens up when turning left while moving and there is a rubbing sound from driver's tire at 10-15 MPH.

asked by on November 01, 2016

My car has been making a sort of running sound at any speed under 15 mph but as it speeds up it seems to get louder and faster and kind of turn into a roar. Then out of no where a couple weeks later i was driving and when i took a curve to the left my steering wheel went so far then seem to stop as if it was turned all the way but it wasnt. What kind of a problem am i experiencing?

The noise you mention seems more likely to be a wheel bearing failing - they get quite noisy with higher road speed, and get even noisier while turning (the outer wheel catches more load). It is possible the tire is rubbing against another suspension component, but this is uncommon.

Anything that is limiting how far you can "turn" the steering wheel IS serious, however, as a safety issue, and needs to be checked immediately. I would recommend having the steering wheel issue inspected at your home by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.