Q: Steering suddenly notchy, only when running, fine when engine off, changed PS fluid and no help.

Developed while driving. Power steering fluid was full but changed anyway. Smooth turning with wheels up or down with engine off. Notchy when running. No noise, belts tight. No fluid leaks. Notchy cold or hot. Feels like snapping is low in column, not in steering wheel.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. Although it'...

Hi, thanks for writing in. Although it's difficult to diagnose a steering issue remotely, the symptoms you're describing would lead me to the steering gearbox. In some cases, especially with about 175,000 miles on the vehicle, the steering gearbox can become blocked with grime which will restrict the flow of power steering fluid inside the gearbox and the power steering system. To be sure, contact one of our local mechanics who can test drive your vehicle and inspect the steering system for what might be causing your problems.