Q: Steering rack problem 2005 Audi A5

audi 8k0909144b Steering rack has broken. I've seen a few on eBay which say 8k0909144b and then 8k0909144 and a d at the end is there any difference in the b to the d? Thank you

Hi there - yes, the "D" unit is an updated steering rack ("F" updated models are already available, so the updates continue). However, remember that this is electrically power-assisted, and there is a software component to the equation. If you understand you will likely need to take your car to Audi for a software upgrade with the "D" unit, it is an acceptable replacement. To avoid this potential problem, stick with an identical "B" suffix steering rack. I would suggest the steering rack replaced by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.