Q: Steering rack problem 2005 Audi A5

audi 8k0909144b Steering rack has broken. I've seen a few on eBay which say 8k0909144b and then 8k0909144 and a d at the end is there any difference in the b to the d? Thank you

Hi there - yes, the "D" unit is an updated steering rack ("F" updated models are already available, so the updates continue). However, remember that this is electrically power-assisted, and there is a software component to the equation. If you understand you will likely need to take your car to Audi for a software upgrade with the "D" unit, it is an acceptable replacement. To avoid this potential problem, stick with an identical "B" suffix steering rack. I would suggest the steering rack replaced by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Steering rack problem 2005 Audi A5