Q: Starter spins occasionally

Once in awhile my starter occasionally won’t work. It will spin but won't start. When I take out the key, wait a few seconds and crank it again it usually starts. I’m looking for the information for the M635CSi replacement. I was wondering will the E34 Bosch Starter SR441XKT will work with Euro M. Do I need to remove the intake plenum to access? Are there any other things I should know?

A: Hello there, thank you for asking about you...

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1985 BMW 635CSi. My repair database does not show information regarding the Euro spec model. However, to replace the starter on the 635CSi, you do not need to remove the intake manifold. The starter is located under the coolant expansion tank, which must be removed. The heater hose may also need to removed from the control valve for access. I also don't have access to the part numbers for the Euro spec car. My best advice is to remove the old starter, then take it to the parts store and compare it to the one you are about to purchase. Or, you could avoid the whole mess and have your starter installed by a professional, such as one from YourMechanic.