Q: Starter shattered apart from motor

Starter shattered apart from motor while idling. What parts do I need to repair my car or is the car a goner

As long as the starter ring gear on the engine flex plate was not damaged, all you have to do is repair (re-build) or replace the starter. The ring gear on the flex plate can be visually inspected once the starter is removed. To perform that inspection, the engine is turned by hand, using the crankshaft pulley bolt, and the entirety of the ring gear can be inspected, segment by segment. To have the starter removed and replaced, the service to request is starter replacement and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you including making sure that the ring gear is OK. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.