Q: Sluggishness and Breaks

My car feels sluggish lately, what's causing this? is it fuel quality? My brakes feel fine but how do I tell if my brake pads need to be replaced?

A: Hello, there is a variety of causes for the...

Hello, there is a variety of causes for the vehicle feeling sluggish. If there is a Check Engine Light on the dashboard and the vehicle than diagnosis with a scan tool will be required.

If no Check Engine Light is present then the most common cause would be spark plugs and wires. When the spark plugs get older the electrode wears down causing the spark to have to jump farther, this wear causes a lack of engine power and a possible engine misfire.

The spark plug wires with age start to break down due to the heat in the engine bay, this causes increased resistance in the wiring and a possible lack of power and misfire condition.

Other possible causes for the car being sluggish are, fuel issues, fuel filter, fuel pump, or dragging brakes. For the brake pads you can tell if they need replaced by performing a visual inspection. The wheel may need to removed to see both sides of the brake pads. You may be able to look through the wheel spokes and determine if the pads are bad. The brake pad material must be above 2mm. A qualified technician, like one from YourMechanic, will have no trouble performing any diagnostics and repairs required to get your vehicle back up to 100%. They can take care of your car’s sluggishness problem and brake issue.