Q: Shutoff during start, Check Engine Light on, power loss - 1990 Mazda B2200

My truck has difficulty starting. It often shuts off during startup. The dash is showing a Check Engine Light illuminated. When I drive it, it loses power and speed as if the engine isn't getting gas. I had the sparkplugs replaced. I had the compression testing done and the cylinders are getting 119-121 psi. What could be causing this?

First thing is to check to see what problem codes are setting off the Check Engine Light. The compression numbers you mention are also pretty low, indicating worn piston rings, or burned valves. If you would like, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office and perform an inspection of the vehicle’s wiring, diagnose the Check Engine Light, as well as make any necessary repairs.

• Shutoff during start, Check Engine Light on, power loss - 1990 Mazda B2200