Q: Reverse Gear Issue

asked by on March 22, 2018

I drive a Honda Civic 2007 Car. I noticed that anytime i engage my car in the reverse gear, I get a strong jerk that comes with a scary loud sound (Gbi) with the whole car shaking along with the jerk. I had the mechanic check all the engine seats and all, but still, it does that. The Control Shift Solenoid is fine. Please what could be the cause. You response will be highly appreciated.

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Harsh gear engagement is due to an internal transmission fault. Among the possible scenarios are internal hydraulic leaks, or out of range line pressure. Hydraulic force is what effects shifting and if the "force" is delayed, too high, or applied suddenly, the outcome you describe is common. The way to diagnose this is, in part, by viewing actual line pressure once you select reverse. Such can be done using a real time scan tool and/or externally mounted pressure test gauges. If you want the cause of the harsh engagement pinpointed, please request a transmission shift diagnostic. Once that diagnostic is complete, the mechanic will explain the repair strategy to you in detail and estimate the cost.