Q: Replaced the water pump and timing but but the engine is still overheating in a very short amount of time.

asked by on July 15, 2017

I have just replaced the water pump, fan clutch, and timing belt on my 1999 dodge Dakota. The original problem was only with the water pump bearing going out, and I replaced the other parts because they were showing wear. After putting everything back together the engine has started to overheat in very short periods of time, even though it never overheated when the bearing went out. Not sure if it's just too much coolant, I've l t some of it out but it still continues to overheat. My car has an automatic transmission

You may have an air pocket in the cylinder head or the thermostat is not opening up. You should make sure upper and lower coolant hoses are hot. If upper hose is not as hot as the lower hose then you have a stuck thermostat and need to replace it. Then use proper fill procedure to make sure air is purged from system so thermostat can open and system flow is cooling engine.