Recently bought a car from a military guy who was pcs’ing...

Q: Recently bought a car from a military guy who was pcs’ing soon that turned out to have more issues than what he told me, so now I’

asked by on November 19, 2017

m trying to junk sell it to a personal buyer. Is there anything I have to do with the title?

I am currently in California and the guy got the car in Indiana. We both signed the back, so I guess it’s a closed title now? I just want to know if I can sell the car with the title as is without any issue on my part. The buyer knows I am selling it as a junk car.

California had the smog restriction, which because of its issues, it won’t pass, but Indiana doesn’t have those kind of requirements I guess, so I know the registration on that part is good till it has to be renewed. So say, if the buyer wanted to register it here they would need to fix the problems, but if they did it in another state (like Indiana) they wouldn’t have to worry about that.

Also, do I need to do anything with the registration since I am selling it as a junk car? He could not find the current registration papers before he left, but he is supposed to be getting me new ones sent over.

Salvage titles are issued when a car has been heavily damaged in a wreck, flood, or other catastrophe. If you are selling a car that merely needs mechanical repairs, even a lot of repairs like a new engine and/or transmission, a salvage (or junk) title is not relevant. If the title to the vehicle is in your name, and there are no liens on the the vehicle, you can sell the vehicle to anyone you like, under any terms you like. Simply create a "Bill of Sale" documenting the terms of the sale, sign over the title to the buyer, and immediately cancel the registration and insurance, remove YOUR license plates from the vehicle, and you are done. You should immediately cancel the registration, and be sure to remove the license plates from the vehicle, in order to eliminate potential personal liability should the new owner drive the vehicle and get into a crash, all the while the car is still registered to you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.