Q: Rattling noise in the back driver wheel area.

asked by on June 20, 2017

I bought my car in April of 2016 used from somebody. Initially this wasn't a problem so I know it developed after my use. The left back side has been making a rattling noise, almost like there's a tin can on a string above the tire lol. I don't know much about car so I've been scared to take it to the shop because I feel I may get screwed over. It's especially noticeable when I go over a bump or hit a pothole. My back passengers notice it all the time. Help?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The bottom line is that you need to find out where exactly that noise is coming from. If you suspect the noise is related to the wheel or the suspension start there. Press down on the bumper above both rear tires. If you can replicate the noise, you may have suspension issues. If not you should check to make sure you exhaust is not loose and rattling around. Simply check it when it is cool and see if it is moving around either at the end tail pipe or the further towards the middle. After that if you are still looking, you will want to raise the vehicle and manipulate the rear wheels to see if you can replicate the noise. With that being said, all shops are going to charge you for repairs, as well as the diagnostic process to find the issue. If you need replacement parts the prices goes up. You can save money with a YourMechanic.com technician as they have a lesser overhead cost and save you money in labor charges (which include that diagnostic process). You can find more information on pricing and availability at our service department’s website.