Q: Radiator blown vehicle shuts off immediatly

I have been running my 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee all day. End of the day, I realized the engine was not as loud as it usually is. Turns out radiator fan was not working. Me being the dumbass I am and not turning it off right away, I left it running to fix another problem not thinking anything of it because my engine was not overheating. Not 5 minutes leaving it running, poof. Coolent goes flying everywhere, and the jeep dies within a couple seconds. No real loud bang or nocking when it shut off, just hissing from coolent spraying everywhere. I just wanted to see if an auto shut off of the engine is common after a radiator blows, or do i have bigger problems, like a head gasket?

Your vehicle has a coolant level sensor but that sensor does not function as an "interrupt" device. All it does is report if the coolant level is too low. The cause of the shut-down could vary from sensor damage (sometimes the crankshaft position sensor, or like sensors, are damaged by high heat) to valves or pistons sticking due to expansion of metal parts. If the vehicle starts and runs normally, you are probably OK. If the vehicle is not starting, the recommended service is a no start diagnostic which can be performed on a mobile basis as the responding certified mechanic travels to your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Radiator blown vehicle shuts off immediatly