Q: Question about thermostat replacement and radiator cooling fan switch replacement

asked by on November 04, 2016

I have two quick questions:

1. When your mechanic replaces a thermostat and radiator cooling fan switch, does he do air bleeding when the replacement is done?
  2. When doing the replacement, does your mechanic drain all of the coolant in the cooling system, or simply does he add some additional coolant when done?

Thanks for your time and help.

Hi there. Anytime the coolant system is worked on, a professional mechanic should verify the service steps with the manufacturer’s service guide. This will help them determine the right steps to complete the coolant bleeding - if it’s mandated by the individual manufacturer. It’s also a standard operating procedure for a mechanic to drain the coolant anytime replacing coolant system components; such as thermostat or coolant lines.

The radiator cooling fan relay is not one of those items that generally requires the fluid to be fully drained, but some mechanics will flush the radiator as a preventive maintenance service.

If you need to have further help having this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your location to pinpoint any faults in the system.