Q: Q: Power steering is going in and out.

A few weeks back my power steering started acting up. I popped the hood and checked the fluid and it was full. I also check both lines for the power steering and they were not leaking. I am not sure whether it is the pump or the rack and pinion system. About a week ago the power steering worked fine for a few days. It is not working much again but it seems to be real tight and then will have a small area where it turns easy. This does not occur in one certain or consistent area in regards to the steering wheel. I replaced the serpentine belt because it was a little worn. Now I am not sure if the pump needs to be replaced or the rack. Can you tell what the issue is?

Hi there, thanks for writing in. It sounds like you definitely have a failing pump or steering rack, but determining exactly which it is will be a bit harder without getting to see the vehicle in person; though my bet is that it’s a failed pump. You can try to see if fluid is flowing well by opening the reservoir and looking inside while someone else turns the steering wheel for you. You should see a good amount of fluid movement. If you know someone else with the same year F-150, you could try comparing the two vehicles to see how your’s compares. To be absolutely certain it’s a failing pump, you should have the power steering problem professionally diagnosed.

3. Q: Power steering is going in and out.