Q: overheating , stiff steering wheel and spilled anit-freze

asked by on May 19, 2017

My 1996 nissan pick up satrted to over heat and and the steering wheel stiffed up, when i opened the hood i saw that anti-freeze was all over the engine what could be the problem?

It’s hard to say what happened first, but the coolant tells a story of a leak. Of course a coolant leak can cause overheating, or overheating for some other reason can cause a coolant leak. You may have spilled coolant on the power steering belt which would explain the loss of the power steering assist. After things cool off you can add some coolant and get a good look as to where the leak may be. If there is no apparent leak, you may want to replace the thermostat and take it out for a short drive to see what develops. Or you can contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come out to your home or office to check out your overheating problem and offer you a solution.