I plugged my IPOD charger/FM transmitter into the cigarette lighter for about 10 minutes while the car was turned off. I came back out and the car woudn't start. The battery, alternator, starter all tested OK at the repair shop. I used the IPOD charger again yesterday and unplugged it before turning the car off. I came back out again 10 to 15 minutes later and the car woudn't start. I took it to another repair shop and the tests came out OK except the "Starter AMP draw was low with OK starter voltage." It also said to "check starter curcuit for loose warn or corroded wiring." My cigarette lighter is short-tempered. If you bump whatever is plugged into it, it comes unplugged a little and shuts off whatever is charging. Could this cause a short in the electrical wiring system? Is this a possible cause for my problems?
Yes, the cigarette lighter circuit can create a draw on the electrical system and with the fact that the contact and wiring appear to be questionable, this can have an effect on many other systems in the vehicle causing malfunctions. The cigarette lighter circuit should looked at and wiring connections repaired to ensure no issues are being caused to draw down the battery.
You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the access to the necessary wiring diagrams and expertise to diagnose the electric problem and properly repair the cigarette lighter/charging circuit for you.
Have a car question? Get free advice from our top-rated mechanics.
Our certified mechanics come to you ・Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guarantee・Fair and transparent pricing