Q: No power steering in Proton Saga

asked by on April 10, 2016

2004 Proton Saga. Recently, rack power steering all leaked out--the damage is turning rack and there is no power steering.

Power steering fluid is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Here’s the thing--power steering fluid is what gives you power. The pump pumps it, sends the power to the rack, which makes it easy to turn. If it all leaked out and you drive it, it will burn the power steering pump out, because it will run on air. Now, you can take the belt of, of the power steering belt, and you have no power steering. If you do that, the rack will last forever. It doesn’t hurt the rack--the rack just gets the power assist. If you don’t have it, it will still work perfectly fine. It won’t hurt anything but you’ve got to disconnect the pump, because the pump will burn itself out. It runs on air when the fluid gets down the knob. If you would like to have this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can locate your power steering fluid leak and make the repairs needed to get you back driving on the road safely.