Q: No power new alternator. 1974 Chevrolet Chevelle

I was changing the alternator in my car yesterday and took the power wire completely off. I also took the bolt off the back of it, too. I barely got any spark from it, so I decided to put in a new alternator and a new battery. When I got everything hooked up again and went to start my car it had no power at all. I checked the glass fuses and changed parts that were in poor condition. Do you have any suggestions, ideas on what else I should do to get my car going again?

Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 1974 Chevrolet Chevelle. If you got a spark from the wire on the back of the alternator, then you shorted something out. You need to follow the wire from the alternator to where it connects to the battery and fuse box. This more than likely melted the fusible link which is typically near the battery. It will look like a melted wire. That would need to be replaced first, and if there are further issues, then more electrical diagnosis will need to be done.