Q: new alternator has a burning smell

Just had a new alternator installed, drove about 20 miles and had a slight burning smell when I exited the car.

Hi Geoff. Thanks for contacting us today. In most cases, when an alternator is replaced, there will be some residual oils from the new alternator that will burn initially and can produce the type of smell you’re describing. It’s also possible that this is caused by an electrical short, caused by a loose wire. I would recommend keeping an eye on your car, make sure you don’t have any issues starting your car and if the smell goes away slowly. If it gets worse, I would contact whoever replaced the alternator as soon as possible and ask them to determine why this is happening.