Q: My VTEC engine variable timing solenoid keeps going bad every week to two weeks, yet that's the only code that pops up on Autozone

asked by on August 02, 2017

I keep having my check engine light come on. I go to Autozone to get it checked, and they say that it's the VTEC solenoid. I have exchanged it out multiple times, yet the light keeps coming back on after a few days to few weeks. What could this be caused by or due to? The parts can't all be bad parts. I had it replaced at the end of 2015 and it worked great until now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello, thank you for writing in. The fact the solenoid continuously fails may indicate that electrical side or mechanical side behind it is not working properly. You can do two things to start off diagnostics. First, considering the interaction with engine oil, remove the assembly the solenoid connects to and check for deposits. These assemblies can clog and cause issues with the solenoid. You can replace or clean the assembly if needed. If the assembly is fine, you will want to turn to electrical testing. The goal would be to find out if the solenoid is being sent too much or too little power. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.