My oil gauge fluctuates with my rpm is this bad oil pressure

Q: My oil gauge fluctuates with my rpm is this bad

asked by on September 05, 2017

My oil gauge fluctuates with the rise and decrease of my rpm is it bad

The oil pump is driven by the engine. Consequently the speed of the pump will vary directly with engine speed. Higher engine speeds result in higher pump output pressure while at lower engine speeds pump output pressure will be lower. Minimum engine oil pressure, at idle, varies by engine but you should see about 10 PSI. Pressure could rise to 40 to 60 PSI at high engine speed. If you suspect that the operating range for oil pressure in your vehicle is not within acceptable limits, please request an engine oil pressure diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.