Q: My Nissan Murano 2004 temp all the way up and service engine light came on I put scanner on it and came up with p1217

The car temp gauge went to hot and had smoke coming out of tail pipe. Checked oil and coolant levels they were empty. I filled up both car ran great then hours later the temp went all the way hit again.

Code P1217 is a generic code indicating the engine is overheating, which may be caused by many different things. Depending on the severity of the overheating, this ma have caused what is known as a blow cylinder head gasket. A blown head gasket may cause a number of different symptoms. A head gasket that fails between cylinders will generally cause a misfire and potentially compression leaks from one cylinder into another. Low compression will eventually result in a rough idling engine. When the head gasket fails between a cylinder and the coolant port, coolant may leak into the cylinder causing it to be burnt with the fuel charge in the combustion chamber. This often results in misfires on startup, especially after the engine is run, turned off and restarted and in some cases may result in the engine not maintaining enough cylinder compression to even run or start. This type of failure may not always show with a compression test. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose the symptoms you describe.

3. My Nissan Murano 2004 temp all the way up and service engine light came on I put scanner on it and came up with p1217