Q: My key is stuck in the ignition // GMC Envoy

I took my car battery out to charge it (still don't know hot to connect it to the charger, but that's another question) I wanted to push my car back into my driveway, so I went to put the car in neutral, it didn't work. I put the key in the ignition hoping it would unlock the gear and it still didn't move. So I went to take the key back out and now the key is stuck in the ignition. I'm not sure if it has to do with the battery not being in the car or not so I added that it. Just want to know what the cause of the problem could be? And how to fix it? Thank you so much

The ignition key release is electronically actuated in your car, via a switch. If the battery is missing or discharged, the switch will stay in the closed position which is interpreted as "not in Park". Consequently, you cannot remove the key. You can only remove the key if the vehicle is in park and, as well, if the vehicle gets the electronic signal, via the switch that the car is in park. The solution of course is to re-install a fully charged battery. If you have initial difficulty with the key on the first try after re-installing a fully charged battery, cycle the ignition key a few times. If that does not ultimately release the key, request a stuck key diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this diagnosed and resolved, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.