Q: My gas cap light keeps coming on. It won't click when I turn it, so I bought a new cap. New cap won't click closed either. What co

asked by on February 11, 2017

My gas cap light came on. I checked it and it seemed like it wasn't clicking closed. I bought a new cap but it still won't click closed. I looked it up and it seems like the sensor is going off because there is no sealed pressure on the tank because the cap isn't clicking. Not sure what else could be wrong. Help? 😬

If you need a gas cap, especially if you are trying to resolve what you believe might be a cap related fault, use an OEM (dealer supplied) cap. Using a genuine OEM cap of the design supplied when the car was built is the only way you can guarantee that a replacement cap (even if "new") is not still a, or "the", problem. Aftermarket caps are often not identical to the OEM caps. Once you have a genuine OEM cap, if the cap is not clicking once tightened, there could be a problem with the threads on the fuel filler neck or other filler neck defect that will have to be resolved. I recommend that you request a gas cap inspection/diagnostic. A certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, would then get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.