Q: My friend has an international scout II, around 1978, and when he brakes or shifts to neutral, it stalls, especially in the cold.

My friend has an international scout II, around 1978, and every time he hits the brakes or shifts to neutral, it stalls, especially in cold weather. It has a manual transmission. He also says that it shakes a lot while shifting. P.S. I could not find this car on your selection so I just selected a random car.

If the vehicle stalls upon touching the brake pedal, that could be due to a vacuum leak in the brake booster system but only of course if the vehicle has power brakes. Stalling could also be due to an incorrect idle speed or the air fuel ratio is too far off (due to other vacuum leaks the effects of which tend to be masked at higher engine RPM). Examining secondary firing patterns on an oscilloscope will often help narrow the diagnostic to fuel versus ignition although, as you can probably guess, on older engines that don’t run well, there are often multiple issues and not just a single cause. Ideally, if you are trying to fully troubleshoot the poor operation you have before you, given the vehicle year, you would start with a compression test simply in order to determine if the engine is basically mechanically sound (at least insofar as compression; that test won’t reveal anything else). If you request an engine stalling diagnostic the responding certified mechanic will both diagnose the cause(s) of the stalling and, in the event of multiple causes, simply let you know what the best strategy is to get reasonably reliable operation. Once you have all of that information, you can make a decision as to how to proceed. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. My friend has an international scout II, around 1978, and when he brakes or shifts to neutral, it stalls, especially in the cold.