Q: My engine keeps shutting off what is the problem?

asked by on November 26, 2016

My engine keeps shutting off while the car is on, the car also bucks or jerks forward when I put it in drive , the car needed a jumpstart this morning but when I got the battery tested they said it was ok , do you know what's wrong with it

Hello. Your symptoms lead me to believe there is an issue with the charging system. If the battery is dead when the vehicle stalls, it means it is either not holding a charge, or the alternator is not generating energy for it. Remove the alternator and take it in to have it tested at an auto parts store. You can also test it at home with a voltmeter. With the meter set to DC, put the red lead on the positive battery terminal and the black lead on the negative terminal. If the battery is being charged by the alternator the voltage reading should be between 13-14 volts. Any lower and the battery is being drained faster than its being charged. Any higher readings means the alternator is putting out excessive energy, and may be damaging the other electronics in the vehicle. Test the alternator and connections first before looking into any type of engine problem.