Q: My Dodge Avenger is running hot intermittently. New thermostate, coolant has been flushed for air pockets.

My car is running hot intermittently. New thermostat and the coolant has been flushed several times for air pockets. The radiator was checked and is good and I was told the water pump is good. This was by the guys at Jiffy Lube. They said they couldn't see any reason why it was running that way and to take it to a full-on mechanic. It runs at midway mostly, the starts to creep up to 3/4. Will stay there momentarily and then drop back down. Goes back to midway if I pop it into neutral at a red light.

A scan tool should be applied to measure the actual engine operating temperature. Gauge and/or temperature sensor/sending unit malfunctions have to be ruled out. if the car is in fact overheating, a plugged radiator, a faulty radiator pressure cap, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt are among the causes. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket, poor engine running condition or exhaust blockages can also cause overheating. If you desire that this overheating problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. My Dodge Avenger is running hot intermittently. New thermostate, coolant has been flushed for air pockets.