Q: my check engine light was on, then i took it to jiffy lube and it was the gas cap. i then drove for about 15 mintues parked and go

asked by on March 19, 2018

my check engine light was on, then i took it to jiffy lube and it was the gas cap. i then drove for about 15 mintues parked, then left the car off and parked for 20 mintues. got back in, turned the car on and the engine light went on again

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Loose gas caps are a cause of EVAP system malfunctions, but they are not the only cause. Consequently, in your case, there may be additional reasons why the check engine light has illuminated and those reasons will have to be found via a diagnostic. The most efficient option to permanently resolve this is to request a check engine light diagnostic. During such a diagnostic, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic would retrieve all the diagnostic trouble code(s) from your car’s PCM that have caused the check engine light to illuminate. Using those codes, the appropriate individual vehicle components or sub-systems (often a sensor, circuit, and the like) are then tested to pinpoint the root cause of the fault or the reason why the check engine light has illuminated. Once the faulty part or component is identified, it is explained to your satisfaction and the mechanic will let you know of the cost to repair. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.