Q: Clutch burning and smoking on 2013 Mini Cooper Countryman

My car has gone only 34,000 miles. It already had a clutch failure, which was replaced along with the clutch spring and flywheel. The car was fortunately under warranty. The car has a problem with the clutch again. It's been burning and smoking lately. Is this a clutch failure again?

Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 2013 Mini Cooper Countryman. It may be the clutch failing once more causing your condition, but it could also be a sticking brake caliper causing your brakes to overheat and smoke.

Brake components and clutch components are generally made of very similar materials. With these materials, it is possible that a burning clutch will smell/smoke like burning brakes and vice versa. If the clutch has once again failed, depending on how long it took to fail will determine the possibility that it will be covered under the repairs warranty. Alternatively, you can have an independent technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your clutch problem and smoke issue that you are experiencing in order to have this repaired.

3. Clutch burning and smoking on 2013 Mini Cooper Countryman