Q: My car wont crank. I have just replaced the starter and all it does still is just click.

broke down three weeks ago. while driving made a popping sound a small puff of smoke and a foul smell. would not crank back just click. was old that it was the starter so i just replaced it. does nothing but click still.

Hi There, Generally a clicking sound when turning the key is a result of a weak battery or a faulty starter solenoid. The starter solenoid is located on the starter and has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter. As electricity is supplied to the starter a small gear comes out and engages the flywheel to spin the engine over as you turn the key. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. My car wont crank. I have just replaced the starter and all it does still is just click.