Q: My car won't rev pass 3k RPMs except when it is in 5th gear.

My car occasionally won't Rev past 3 rpms. I drive a bit hard. Shift high around 4 or 5 rpms. Occasionally have an issue starting the car so I have to push start. What could be causing this

A: Hi. This sounds like the clutch for the tra...

Hi. This sounds like the clutch for the transmission is slipping, causing the shifting condition you have. The clutch is what allows you to shift from gear to gear. When this part fails the car may not move, be sluggish during acceleration, or not be able to go past at certain RPM. I'm pretty sure you have a bad clutch that needs to be replaced to solve your problem. The starter may also need to be replaced because of the intermittent no start issue you having. This problem usually means the starter is going bad.

I recommend having a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to you to determine why the engine is having trouble and if the clutch is not working correctly.