Q: My car will start but won't accelerate when I push the gas pedal. What would cause this problem?

asked by on October 21, 2016

Car will start but won't accelerate when pushing the gas pedal.. Also it will take a couple tries for the car to actually start.

Engine hesitates during acceleration Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

I would first check to see if your Check Engine Light is illuminated. If so, there are likely trouble codes that have been stored in your vehicle’s PCM that may indicate what the problem is. In order to pull these codes, you will need an OBD-II scanner.

If you do not have one, I would recommend having your vehicle scanned for trouble codes. Once the trouble codes have been identified, the repair procedure will be more clear. It is possible that you have a fuel or ignition issue. I would recommend having these systems of the vehicle inspected as well.

If you need assistance, then consider having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, determine why the car hesitates during acceleration and suggest any needed repairs.