Q: My car shuts down while driving - 2006 Kia Rio

asked by on November 10, 2016

Car shuts down whilst driving, electrics still work, indicator, dash etc. Starts up again after a couple of turn of the key. Prior to shutting down, car jerks, once or twice then shortly after shuts down. Changed fuel pump, o2 sensor, cam belt or cam something sensor, hasn't shut down for a few days now, but it still jerks more regular while driving. No smell in car, no check engine light after changing the o2 and other sensor. But still jerks. Not sure what to do now. Thx danny

Hi there. Assuming this is not a misfire you are feeling and the computer has not recognized a misfire, this would lead me to believe a there is an electrical fault. Possibly a faulty ECM (engine control module) relay or a faulty fuel pump relay. A poor electrical connection which would battery terminal connections could create the jerking sensation you are feeling. Another possibility is a faulty MAF (mass airflow sensor) incorrectly calculating the incoming air to the engine.

Replacing components without diagnoses could prove to be expensive and time consuming without resolution. I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the car is jerking and suggest the needed repairs.