Q: My car is hard to start - do I have bad battery cables?

When I go start my car it doesn't fully start till the 3rd try it seems. It cranks like it's gonna start but doesn't. It sometimes starts but turns off quickly. I just had the battery cable terminals replaced since they were corroded. And the mechanic said it could be the cable as well since he saw corrusuion in the wires when he was stripping it. Had the starter checked and it's fine. Is it something as replacing the cable cause now that's the next step.

Hi there:

If you turn the key on your Jeep and the engine cranks over every time, then the starting problem is most likely not the battery cables. However, if you turn the key and it takes a few times for the engine to turn over, it may be the cables, the ignition lock cylinder or the starter relay that is the problem. If the vehicle cranks like it want to start but doesn’t, then the issue tends to be fuel or ignition system related. You can save a lot of time, money and frustration by contacting one of our professional mechanics to complete a car is hard to start inspection. This service allows a professional mechanic to arrive to your home and diagnose exactly what’s causing your starting issue, so that they can complete the right repairs.