Q: My car engine is hot and the gauge doesn't seem to be working

Heater blows hot. Cooling system is full level in overflow reservoir moves when I squeeze hose. Always run 210 degrees now looks like gauge not working at all.

Hello.

From what you describe it would appear that your temperature gauge is not working correctly. This can be for a few different reasons. The most common causes are a faulty temperature sender, wiring issues, or a faulty temperature gauge. The temperature gauge gets its signal from the coolant temperature sender. This component functions similarly to the coolant temperature sensor, in that it senses engine temperature, however the sender provides the signal for the gauge, while the sensor for the computer. If there is an issue with the sender, or the associated wiring and connector, it may cause the gauge to read incorrectly or malfunction. It may also be possible that the gauge itself has failed mechanically, and is on longer functioning.

As the temperature gauge is a critical component to preventing the engine from overheating, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine what is causing the malfunction.