Q: My ABS is making a lot of noise in my GMC Yukon 2002.

My ABS module is making a lot of noise. I had to unplug it so the noise would stop. The lights turned on when I did that. The ABS light and the Traction light both turned on. How do I fix it? Should I buy a replacement?

Before spending the extra money on replacing the modules for the ABS and traction control, you may want to have the wheel sensors checked first as these are commonly known to either fail or become disrupted causing theses systems to come on.

Your car is equipped with wheel speed sensors at each of the four wheels which monitor wheel speed while relaying this information constantly to the ABS and traction control system which are controlled by the car’s ECU. When the ECU senses an abnormal speed given specific conditions, it engages the ABS or traction control as needed to control the vehicle properly and safely. Occasionally, these sensors can fail or become faulty working intermittently sending inaccurate signals to the ECU. When this happens, you may experience the symptoms you have described. The ABS or traction control system may be inadvertently activated by these false or inaccurate signals. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your ABS and traction control system.

3. My ABS is making a lot of noise in my GMC Yukon 2002.