Q: Q: Motor turns over will not start

Car overheated waited to cool off, filled up with water tried starting nothing, checked all plugs cleaned them off. I believe it is intake or head gasket. Just recently replaced water pump and radiator. I have a bad crankshaft seal leak too, Was just nursing it until I could afford a different car. Would I be better off getting a motor or rebuilding this one?

Hi, thanks for writing in. If the car has had a history of overheating, this may very well likely be a blown head gasket. As you know when this happens, this will cause a dramatic drop in cylinder compression, often times too low for the engine to be able to start. I would recommend running a compression test to see if this is the case. The majority of vehicles on the road need a minimum of 100 psi in compression to run. When the compression drops below this, most engines will not run at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home or office to confirm a diagnosis on the issue and make or suggest the necessary repairs or replacements.

3. Q: Motor turns over will not start