Q: Lifter taping

When the temp. Drops to 25 deg. Is when it's really loud .after I start it (cold) sounds fairly ok until I put it in gear gets louder the more load I put on it.clears up after a block down the st.after the engine is norm.temp.sometimes I can hear it faintly and sometimes not at all.2009 ford ranger 2.3 / 4cyc.

As you may know, in cold weather many oils do not move quite as fast as they do in warm weather. The tapping noise you are hearing is likely the result of the motor oil taking longer to get to the top of the motor to properly lubricate. As you put more of a load on the motor, more tapping is heard due to the higher demands you are placing on the internal components with less oil. In a normal operating situation when the oil is warm and moves much more freely through the motor, the more load you put on the motor, the more oil pressure is increased forcing the oil to all of the places it needs to be at the right times. You may want to consider changing over to a thinner viscosity oil for the winter time to allow the oil to flow more efficiently through the motor.

3. Lifter taping