Q: Knocking/ticking noise before it died told that engine has no compression also told may be timing chain/belt,worth looking at ?

My 2004 cavalier just broke down on me I took it to a shop they had advised me to junk my car because the engine had no compression.. but I was also told that it might just be the timing chain or belt .. a couple of days before it died my car was making a ticking/ knocking where I believe the timing belt/chain is located an then just stopped working, no lights indicating engine problems or oil came on. Is it worth getting looked at or should I junk it as advised? I need a car in 2 days ..

• Knocking/ticking noise before it died told that engine has no compression also told may be timing chain/belt,worth looking at ?