Q: Key fob randomly flashing red while driving

asked by on February 28, 2018

I have a 2013 Audi A8 w/ the 3.0 supercharged V6, and when I’m driving my car, the key fob will occasionally flash red for about 7-8 secs, while at the same time, I get a low beeping/buzzing sound from somewhere in the center console that coincides with the flashing on the key fob? I have replaced the battery in both of my key fob’s, but it still does it? It doesn’t seem to affect the car’s performance in any way, but I’m wondering why it’s happening or what it means? Any ideas? Please advise...thanks!

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

What you are describing is a key FOB that becomes active (transmits) even when uncommanded. It might be defective, but before condemning it you can try the re-set procedure for the key FOB that is outlined in the Owner’s Manual. If that doesn’t work, it might be possible to re-flash the key FOB at the dealer. If you have two key FOB’s, try driving only with the other; if the malfunction doesn’t arise with the "other" FOB obviously the first one is defective. There are additional steps and tests that can be performed, per the Audi Shop Manual. If you desire that a certified mechanic resolve the issue, please simply request an electrical diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this diagnosed and resolved, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results. .