Q: Just bought this and was up-sold a maintenance plan by the BMW dealership. Can I do without?

I've heard that pure EVs have very low maintenance requirements because of the lack of an internal combustion engine. What kind of maintenance might I expect to have to perform on the i3 and would it be better for me to cancel my maintenance contract with BMW, and go with a 3rd party option, like, say, Your Mechanic?

Having a dealer maintenance plan is always a good thing if the price is fair. The dealer service program will make sure that you are reminded every time your vehicle needs any sort of preventative maintenance due to its mileage. Although this vehicle does not have an engine, it still has multiple maintenance procedures that will be necessary. This will include brakes, wiper blades, tires, suspension parts, etc. I would recommend that if you choose not to go with the dealership service plan that you still replace all parts that are required based on the vehicle’s mileage.

• Just bought this and was up-sold a maintenance plan by the BMW dealership. Can I do without?