Q: Is it easy and safe to repair a crack in the windshield? 2008 Hyundai Tucson

My daughter will be driving our 2008 Tucson home from college in a couple weeks (Raleigh to Cincinnati). For 3 years we've had a small ding in the windshield. After driving home from Thanksgiving, her windshield started a crack. Can she try one of the home repairs for the crack instead of having it replaced? Do those hold up or should we have her take it somewhere to get checked?

A: Hi there - this is NOT a repair for a DIYr....

Hi there - this is NOT a repair for a DIYr. Auto glass professionals are trained to do this - for chips, not cracks. Most auto insurance companies now provide for windshield replacement with low or no deductibles due to the extreme safety issues from cracked and broken windshields. Consult your auto insurance company for their specific coverage. This is a huge safety issue.