Q: If water mix with oil will it pass smog

I have to get smog to register the car knowingly that water mix with oil ( it overheats last my daughter used it and I found that it run out of coolant so I top it off), car starts with no problem, I just have to keep adding coolant when I use it, will it pass smog? Thank you

It sounds like you ma have a blown cylinder head gasket. A blown head gasket may cause a number of different symptoms. A head gasket that fails between cylinders will generally cause a misfire and potentially compression leaks from one cylinder into another. Low compression will eventually result in a rough idling engine. When the head gasket fails between a cylinder and the coolant port, coolant may leak into the cylinder causing it to be burnt with the fuel charge in the combustion chamber. This often results in misfires on startup, especially after the engine is run, turned off and restarted and in some cases may result in the engine not maintaining enough cylinder compression to even run or start. This type of failure may not always show with a compression test. With these symptoms happening, it is unlikely that the vehicle will pass smog for a number of reasons. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose the symptoms you describe.

If the overheating and the coolant in the oil do not set OBD-II trouble codes that are emission related, or affect the OBD-II emission "readiness monitors", then the vehicle will "likely" pass. Overheating can warp the cylinder head and/or engine block causing costly damage. The most common causes of overheating include low coolant level (including that due to leaks), a faulty thermostat, a plugged radiator, a faulty radiator pressure cap, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket, poor engine running condition or exhaust blockages can also cause overheating. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you

3. If water mix with oil will it pass smog