Q: If I can hear my fuel pump does that mean its not bad?

I'm getting a cylinder misfire and was assuming its my fuel pump since the guy I bought the truck from told me it would need to be replaced soon, but now testing to see if I hear the fuel pump I do hear it start up for a few seconds. Does that means its good and it could be my ignition coil?

A: Hello. If the fuel pump is loud then that c...

Hello. If the fuel pump is loud then that can mean that it is failing. I have also had many fuel pumps make noise for quite some time without having any issues. The only way to know for sure would be to test the fuel pressure. If the pressure is low then the pump would need to be replaced. Since the engine has a misfire I would usually check the spark plugs and ignition coils first. The vehicle may simply need a tune up. If there are no problems there then I do a compression test and check the fuel pressure to see if the fuel pump is fine and to see if there are any internal engine issues. If you want to have this misfire fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your to diagnose why there is a cylinder misfire and make repairs.